Monday, September 7, 2020

Keeping it Low Key

Week 3

With my husband doing a bunch of overtime again this week, possibly 25 hours I decided to learn from last week and give myself more grace this week and keep it lower key. 

 

Monday

I brought out my spinner and put our subjects and areas on it and had the kids spin the wheel. We tried to switch around every 30 minutes. 


They spun watch TV Show (homeschool approved items that I put on watch lists on Prime, Netflix and Hulu) and Create a Video.

We then went to the library to return some of our books and grab my prize from the adult summer reading program.

Then we grabbed lunch from Pizza Hut - they had their free personal pan pizzas again from the Book It Program.

They spun the wheel after lunch and had Beast Academy and Geography. They worked on states and capitals and a couple of math problems. I might need to get them a level below where they are doing right now because math seems to be taking forever to do.

I found a new song to keep me positive and put a smile on my face.

 

Tuesday

We spun the wheel again today. They spun Cooking and Science.
For Science I had them watch a couple of YouTube DNA videos. Then my oldest received an Ancestry DNA Kit that was on sale a couple weeks ago. We activated it and got ready to send his sample in.

 

Then for Cooking, I finished up cutting up our Zucchini to freeze while my kids looked in our 100 Days of Real Food recipe books and chose at least 5 recipes they wanted to make. Then they chose 1 recipe and listed the ingredients to shop for so next time we go to the store we'll grab those.

 

After snack, we made Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut muffins since we had some bananas to use that I took out of the freezer the last time we made muffins. The recipe is from my college roommate who compiled recipes for me from our roommates since I didn't know how to do too many things from scratch.

 

These were delicious! We'll freeze some for later too.



Since I couldn't fit all the areas on our Spinner wheel, I used our $1 Tree dry erase board dice for some other homeschool activities that are easy to do with no planning/prep. They got to roll the dice after lunch.


This dice and our wheel have worked well for keeping it low key especially since I'm a Type 1 for those who have heard of Dressing your Truth by Carol Tuttle. These ideas may not work for people who love a lot of details and plans. My secondary type is Type 4 so I do always have a plan in mind if they spin the wheel for certain subjects which I can get ready within 15 minutes while they play a dice game, journal, or do a math sheet.
 

Wednesday

Spin the Wheel today brought Science and Language Arts.
For science we watched a DNA Lego video and they built a DNA model with Lego blocks. Then we worked on The Good and the Beautiful for Language Arts.

Since we might have family over for Labor Day, I decided we need to fix up the backyard some. Several sprinklers back there are broken so we have to set up the hoses. The kids had a blast playing in the sprinkler and with the hoses.

My daughter then had to finish her Language Arts after lunch. Then they rolled the dice and got Open a Gift (our homeschool extra books I wrapped up for fun) and Watch a Show (homeschool approved).

She unwrapped History Uncovered The USA from Usborne.

Thursday

We received my son's Ninja Rope Course for his PE class so we set it up this morning. 

My oldest has been wanting mashed potatoes for a while so they learned how to make that. They also helped with potatoes for hashbrowns that their Dad makes really well.

In the afternoon, I showed them another SimplyFun game which isn't available on the website anymore, but one of my favorites.
I crushed it with the words: misogyny and jacquard! =D

 Later that night we received my son's punching bag and pull up bar as well. We are excited to set those up for use too.

 

Friday

We went grocery shopping. I taught the kids about price comparison. They got ingredients for some of the recipes they wanted to try. 

Then we set up my oldest's punching bag which the whole family is loving.

 

My son's Fit Bit like device came so I set that up. He loved counting his steps and now my daughter really wants one too. 


We also worked a bit in the yard and cleaned out our sand box that some neighbor cat has been using as a sand box. We filled up our punching bag with some of the cleaner sand, but it's still not weighted enough so we'll have to look into some other things to help it.

We all tried the pull up bar as well. We are impressed with my daughter's pull up skills. She says it's because the monkey bars have been her favorite at school.


Keeping it low key this week has really saved my sanity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our start with My Tech High and current homeschool resources.

No comments: