Monday, September 28, 2020

Miyagi Homeschool

Monday
Yard Work - we have so many trees in our yard so we need to make sure we keep up with it before we're dumped with leaves. The kids helped move things back into place from our lat wind storm. My husband power washed everything in case we could have family come over and be outside for our youngest's 3rd birthday tomorrow.

Kids worked on reading books and lots of PE on the Ninjas Ropes course outside.
 
 
Tuesday
 Today was my youngest's 3rd birthday and for those who know me, know I love birthdays! When my kids went to public school, then I had the whole day to prepare for a birthday. I figured since I homeschool now I would just have to enlist in my kids help.
I  saw this later on Facebook and thought I made a good choice for today haha.


I decorated mostly last night so we spent most of the day cleaning.
 
 
 
 
 Can you figure out the theme from these photos?
 
I told the kids to read or clean today, and they mostly chose cleaning. Then I had them make the cake. I taught them about fancying up a box cake mix replacing the water with milk, the oil with butter and adding extra eggs. They each were in charge of one mix. My son the Funfetti and my daughter the chocolate which we also added Oreos to. 

 
 
 
 
More photos from the party to help give you a hint.



Here's the invite I created to incorporate all my youngest wanted for his birthday - mostly garbage trucks and tornadoes are his love. 
 
 
He generally likes Spiderman still so I threw him in there to help incorporate the two. 
I made the tornadoes on his cake with a waffle cone for the big one, but I think those are too big to be really stable and then sugar cones on the cupcakes. We made frosting with Oreos in it to make it look like dirt. I tried to throw in broken cone pieces too.

During the party a family member asked what my kids learned today. My daughter and I both said not much and then shared about the cake they did today. That family member later said tell your mom to teach you something tomorrow. It stung just a little so I thought about that more after the party. Then I related it to Mr. Miyagi probably since I finished watching Cobra Kai not too long ago and enjoyed the Karate Kid movies as a kid. Mr. Miyagi did not teach traditionally. He taught hard work and kindness (defense). I thought about how we are homeschooling and giving my kids the tools to be excited about learning and always strive to learn. The product of how they are learning will come and they will be ready to be adults and face the world. They learned today the scriptures, prayer, memorization, allegiance, working hard, taking care of a home, service and celebration for their little brother, learned to use ingredients and substituting ingredients (science), following directions, and more. Many of those aren't visible right now. We've been doing this for a month and though we have challenging days, I know that they are learning. It's all about balance. Life has been crazy for me this week, but I will balance it out and have them focus on more math and language as well. It's just hard when someone asks the question on a day you feel like you're not doing the traditional school.

Wednesday 
Back to our typical spin the wheel. They spun Watch a TV Show/Movie. Here's a link to our approved YouTube play list for school 
Here's a screenshot of some of our approved Prime shows for school. 
 

 
Then my son spun P.E. We attempted to do Wii Sports, but our Wii doesn't seem to be loading discs at the moment so they did stretches, the punching bag, and Ninja ropes course outside.  
 
Then they spun Geography so today they learned a bit about topography and played with the bean bin.

After lunch, they had Art. We created these Pi city skylines. I couldn't find our graph paper which was frustrating. My kids made their own. I wanted them to practice some math skills. This was a great to practice measuring skills. Though as usual, my daughter was frustrated with it. She seems to have a perfectionist trait in her like me. So sometimes I just have to leave her alone to figure it out and problem solve. Problem solving is the biggest thing I want her to learn especially since she doesn't always like to listen to other's ideas (at least her family's).

 
We got notification that my son's DNA sample is getting processed so we watched a video about that. 


Thursday
I had my kids do more Reading and of course our Morning Routine since this day looks so sparse.
My daughter had an orthodontist appt which I forgot about her original appt. the other day. We left at 11:45 for that. While she was doing that, I had my son do Exact Path at home.

Friday
Today my daughter figured out and finished her PI City drawing all on her own. She was proud of herself and happy. She took this picture herself.
 
The kids made Lego Tornadoes upstairs since their youngest wanted to watch Lego Tornado videos. Here's the aftermath apparently taken by my oldest.

 
At lunch time, my daughter wanted to make some peanut bars so I assisted her with that. They were from 100 Days of Real Food. WE didn't have the right cereal though so we used Rice Krispies.

This afternoon, my youngest had his 3 year check up. The older kids wanted to come so we did that plus grocery errands. I was exhausted after and just needed some quiet and peace after this week. Many of the days may look sparse but it was a very busy life week. After the "School week" I also had a talk to write for church (which you can read on yesterday's post) and during the week, I had lots of dōTERRA meetings to prep for our Essential Oil Studies which I will be doing every month. Want to learn more about that, join my Facebook group.
~~~~
After speaking in church yesterday, I finally felt some peace and this week should feel more normal and less crazy. Luckily homeschool school is adaptable and there's a lot to learn about life. Remember Mr. Miyagi.


No comments: