Monday, January 11, 2021

New Year 2021, Same Homeschool

We have pretty much the same routine for Homeschool in 2021.

For January, our affirmation is "I'm Amazing and a Success!" and we've started our new book for scriptures, Doctrine & Covenants Family Reader. I love this because it has it narrowed down to a specific set of scriptures to focus on along with several questions to ask pertain to that set of scriptures. Each page of scriptures and questions can take 5 minutes which is great to expose the kids to the words and language of the scriptures and then check comprehension with simple questions. 

You can always go further with activities or videos from the Come Follow Me manual, many other blogs like my favorite Home-Centered Learning that sends weekly PDFs of activity ideas to enrich the reading, and videos.

Of course with our first week back, we're keeping it low key and simple.


MONDAY

After our Morning Routine, the kids wrote a 1 page paper on their Winter Break. Since my oldest skipped lines, his was double sides. 



Then while I did a ton of errands today, they worked on 2 Exact Path lessons.


TUESDAY

Exact Path or Beast Academy Pages

Art - I have a box of miscellaneous kids' craft supplies and my daughter just made whatever inspired her.



Lego - My oldest received a Lego Classic set for Christmas and enjoyed trying out some of the ideas in the book. 

In the afternoon, we tried out a new game my brother sent me for Christmas, Taco vs Burrito....another game created by a 7 year old kid. It was pretty fun, but I kept getting crushed by the Health Inspector card. I will have to check out the expansion to see if I have a better chance at winning! Super creative!


WEDNESDAY

To enrich our scripture study today, I had the kids watch the Joseph Smith Story Living Scriptures video.


They then got to work on their Tinker and Doodle Crates that got behind in shipping with the holidays. 




My son is working on the Motorcycle Tinker Crate.



Can you spot the smiley face she made in the paint below?


Thursday
We made Chocolate Zucchini cupcakes with Peanut Butter frosting, a favorite between my daughter and I. Hers without the frosting. We have our neighbor who doubts its goodness because of the zucchini so we made it for her family. The kids made it all by themselves. My daughter just had to be reminded to not cancel the cooking and just the timer so our first batch wasn't cooked through. The next batches were great. We doubled the recipe and ended up with over 90 cupcakes. We'll freeze most of them for later. 




The kids also had to do the dishes before and after we started along with clean the table. They also had to take out all the ingredients. I just sit at the computer reading off the recipe for them =D

Friday
We finished up the week with some Night Zookeeper and lots more cleaning of the basement and finished putting the Christmas decor away.


No comments: