Monday, August 31, 2020

Staples Removed and Pulling Teeth

Week 2

Monday

We went back to the hospital to get my oldest's staples removed. Luckily it was quick and tear free unlike the last time he had staples removed and said that it was worse than putting them in. It took less than a minute. I had him pick some essential oils that smelled best to him. He liked Peace and Citrus Bliss so I brought both just in case. I also grabbed some play dough for him to squeeze if he got nervous. I put a drop of Citrus Bliss on that for him too.

We headed to Walmart really quick to grab some poster strips to hang some stuff in our homeschool room and some cupcake liners so we could make a bunch of different kinds of muffins this week. I also let my son choose a treat for surviving the hospital. He's grown so much from his hiding under the doctor's office chair.

I couldn't sleep and woke up around 4:45am so the rest of the day we kept it easy. The kids cleaned the homeschool room. Then they worked on Imagine Math through their My Tech High Homeroom resources, and they also had the choice of doing Night Zookeeper.

My daughter did 2-3 paragraphs within 30 minutes on her own. Back at the start of Covid, it was like pulling teeth to get her to write a couple sentences for her online school work. I better knock on wood, but we are loving Night Zookeeper.
My heart goes out to the families in my area who chose to do online through their school and haven't heard much about what they're supposed to do. From others who have started already, it sounds like it was just like before right when Covid started.

After that we worked on my daughter's tech class, Digital Storytelling, with a video for their YouTube channel and trying a healthy snack in a variety of flavors.  You'll have to watch their YouTube video to see what they thought =D

What flavors of Larabars does your family like?



Tuesday

I had my oldest finish his Beast Academy math pages while my daughter worked on things for her tech class.
We had apples and cheese for snack and then worked on our Good and the Beautiful curriculum.

 
Lunch time, the kids made mini pizzas using bread slices for their crust. My oldest loves it. I told him different ideas to use for his crust in the future. He'd only seen me do French Bread pizza before I think.

Finished up our language arts. Then clean up time since I had a friend out of town wanting a tour of our new house. 

 

Wednesday

Today we had a cooking day. We made blueberry and chocolate chip muffins. We quadrupled the recipe to practice more math skills.







Since it was Wednesday, for their fun activity, we filled our small inflatable pool for the kids to play in.
 
Then the kids requested to play Night Zookeeper.
I was hoping to get our Zucchini prepped and in the freezer, but we didn't get to it. Maybe later this week. I was worn out from the day and maybe the stress from my husband's computer not working. Looks like we'll need to buy a new one because he hasn't been able to figure it out. 

Thursday
Today my daughter couldn't find her Kindle to work on Good and the Beautiful so we started with Beast Academy. My oldest learned a lot about volume of a triangular prism. I impress myself remembering most of these formulas =D My daughter was grumpy so she didn't get much done and I was frustrated too. I knew she'd always be my hardest one to home school. Even when she was a toddler, she'd never believe me when trying to teach her something. I told her that I went to school to be a teacher and she still doesn't believe me when I tell her how to do certain subjects. We did a quick activity outside to see if a Ninja Warrior course would work on our trees. Since I couldn't find my sewing tape measure, they kids had to figure out how to get the circumference of our tree using our regular tape measure, and I brought out string. They first thought they could just measure the tree with straight lines, but quickly figured out how to use the string and then the tape measure.


So after lunch, we played Mexican train and I made her add up several digit numbers for more practice. To give my older one more of a challenge, he had to add up my scores too. He kept winning and getting 0 so it was a bit easy for him. Haha.


My daughter was still having a rough day so I let her choose between 2 art kits she had. She started on this Sewing Kit. It's pretty nice!

 

Friday

Our Big Life Journals arrived the other day so we started those. My daughter listened to the podcast too.  I was able to remind them through out the day one of the quotes from their journal. 


Since we had no base 10 units, I had my oldest do his math on Minecraft so he could visualize it better. It worked really well. I will have to remember that in the future. 

After lunch, I had the kids peel the Zucchini to get it ready to freeze.

Then we played Scrabble for some more spelling, word connection/vocabulary building exercises. 
 
 
 
Today there were a lot of tears. Most of the week has been like pulling teeth with my daughter. I always knew it would be a challenge. This week also has been so long, partly because I've been preparing for ShopFest with my dōTERRA products. Then my husband has been working 15 hours days since his computer broke so he's getting a lot of overtime in to build a new computer since it's been a week and still hasn't been able to figure out what's wrong with it. It's so hard to vent to people especially when a decision has been made and there can be judgements about that decision. Just because a decision was the right one, does not make it easy. My husband was supposed to take Monday off, but he canceled that so he could do more overtime. He can only get overtime after he works his full 40 hours. So another week of crazy and I just need to give myself more grace. 
 
Any tips for me a Homeschool Newbie? I've been following all sorts of new homeschool groups and other moms so I've found some new inspiration to help me, but it always takes some time to implement changes and find that balance on what's right for my family. My newest favorite inspiration is Home Centered Learning.  Her children are younger than me, but I like a lot of things she is doing. Hoping to incorporate some little by little. 
 
Tomorrow is my husband's birthday so hopefully I can try and relax some and find some joy in our journey right now. 



No comments: