Monday, November 30, 2020

Pie Crust, Turkey, Homeschool, Oh My!

We had an extra Homeschool Support Group Cooking Class on Sunday afternoon. They created it just for my kids because we requested Pumpkin Chocolate Chip bread. We also made Pie crust which has always been intimidating for me! After doing it, it still was, but we did learn some things. Using a food processor was a bit easier though. We had to put ours back in the fridge so we'll try to roll it out later. Maybe I'm just a slow cooker, because this class went fast. I was running around like crazy trying to help the kids...I prefer to take my time with cooking and baking especially if it's something new because I want to get it right haha. 




Our pumpkin chocolate chip bread turned out great. My son has eaten almost half of his loaf already. We will freeze my daughter's loaf for later.

MONDAY

Today I guess was my turn to have a rough day...like really rough. I struggle with depression and this year some anxiety. Last night I started to feeling a bit like this and today was extreme. Lots of tears today that would just leak out. Luckily I have a very calm, patient, supportive husband who though he doesn't completely understand, he asks questions to help him understand. He offered ideas to help me get through the day. I'm so grateful for him. 
The kids were pretty good. The youngest got pretty mad though and went to his room and ended up putting himself to bed for a good nap which helped give me time to talk to my husband. 

My oldest watched a science video he found on DNA and cells. 

My daughter worked on a painting. She chose this one for her My Tech Art Club. I printed her out the basic directions and helped her gather supplies and she had at it. She loves using her creativity. 



My youngest wanted to get in on the painting action too. He said he painted Sirenhead.


TUESDAY
Today was a bit better. We did our morning routine. They took forever on their compliment and gratitude videos because they kept messing up so by the time we were done, it was snack time. Then my son chose to learn some family stories for their Temple Bingo. Even though he's not in Primary in more, I had him participate in it. He doesn't even know the Primary sent it to us. Yesterday he wrote in his journal for it. 

Then we played a new game called Perfect Timing. My daughter was a quick thinker in it and was able to look several steps ahead to figure out the right times to add to get Perfect Time. They both still struggle a bit reading time especially when it's closer to the next hour, but they're pretty good at adding time. 



Then it was lunch time. After lunch they had a Sleep Spray order and so we went on a walk to deliver that to someone in our ward. 


My oldest actually asked me if he could read his book instead of doing something else. He's on the 3rd or 4th book from Alan Gratz' Refugee series. This one is called Projekt 1065. He enjoyed the other books, but never asked to just read them unless it was bedtime. 

My daughter chose to watch Standing in Holy Places for her Temple Bingo. Yesterday she wrote in her Big Life Journal. Then she wanted to show me a video she liked called Come Unto Jesus which I just bawled through thinking maybe I'm doing an okay job as a mom and I am teaching them the gospel and the good things in this world. Between her wanting to share that video and my son choosing to read today...tender mercies that I cherish. <3


WEDNESDAY

As part of our morning routine, I read from the scriptures how the Jared and his people were in the barges for 344 days....relating it to social distancing. I always relate to the start of Covid on St. Patrick's Day of this year because that's when I first started hearing things so it's been 252 days. It would be nice to be out of this in 3 more months or less, but 3 months I expect with winter months. I'm hoping for summer to be more back to normal. We will see. 
Also my thoughts are if they lasted that long in a barge with 2 stone for light for that long, we can wear a mask. We can social distance. This is a test, another trial in life. Our Bishop shared AoF #12 when he re-emphasized the wearing of masks at church. Mandates are temporary laws. Once we through this, maybe there's more blessings to come like for the Jaredites. I know you could take these scriptures a lot of ways to liken them unto yourselves, but those were my thoughts this morning that I shared with my kids. 
Remember growth hurts and requires change. We cannot grow if we are the same. 

I've seen growth in my children just from the simple practice of reciting affirmations each day. These are the ones we've started with even my youngest remembers them and recites them during challenging times. 



We played Perfect Timing again, but made our own version to be competitive. Each person gets 5 times. Then they have 5 move the clock cards in front of them. Each turn they can use as many of their move the clock cards to make one of their times in their hand. Once you complete 5 time cards, you win.


THURSDAY

Happy Thanksgiving!
The kids peeled the potatoes and the yams. My oldest prepared the green bean casserole. My daughter set the table. 



We ate our Thanksgiving Dinner early so we could Zoom with family, play games and get started on some Christmas decor (earliest we've set it up in a long long time).

We played Apples to Apples and Cover your Assets. 


FRIDAY

We watched Mandalorian this week and again I thought if Mandalorians can wear their helmet for so long, then we can wear a mask. This is the way =D

We love Baby Yoda and were surprised to learn his name!

Just the start of our Christmas decor, cleaning and rearranging our front room to fit the tree =)


My son got an early birthday present since he won't be having a birthday party this year despite my efforts at creating a social distanced Among Us birthday party idea. 
My husband saw a game on my son's wish list on sale with Black Friday and offered it to him. 


No comments: