Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wellness Wednesday #17 - Spring Cleaning - Dishwasher Detergent

Dishwasher Detergent/Scouring Powder: found this on here. Check out the link for more and info and the cost savings! It's definitely made a difference on saving money in our home!

* 1 cup Washing soda or Baking soda (I’ve seen many recipes that use both so use whatever you have on hand) - I used WASHING 
* 1 cup Borax (Borax and baking soda/wash are both natural disinfectants and mild abrasives.)
* 1/4 cup Kosher salt (reduces the effects of hard water)
* 1/4 cup citric acid (available at Amazon.com. Or two packets of Lemonade-Flavored Kool-Aid, ONLY lemon & ONLY unsweetened!) - I used the Lemonade Kool-Aid.
*several drops of your favorite essential oil–lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, whatever strikes your fancy. - I used about 20 drops of lemon 

Combine and store in airtight container. I just poured everything directly into the container I was going to use and gave it a good shake!


******Add 1-2 tablespoons per load along with a splash of white vinegar as a rinse agent to prevent spots. Without a good amount of vinegar, you'll get spots.
I actually use closer to a 1/4 C. I fill my dispensers 1/4 to 1/2 of the way with the powder then fill the rest with vinegar so I get more of a liquid then a paste so it doesn't stick to just one area.

To clean your dishwasher, check out this link. Haven't tried it yet.

No comments: