Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wellness Wednesdays #8 - Homemade Granola Bars

A while ago I made some homemade granola bars and I've been wanting them again, but couldn't find the recipe until just recently! It was in my Breakfast in a Cookie Jar book! - the Almond Cranberry Granola Bars recipe. Awesome recipe book with lots of healthier cookies and bars recipes - great for snacks or breakfast.





 I had my awesome helper mix in everything.
  • 3 Cups Oats
  • 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 TBSP Butter
  • 1/2 Cup dried cranberries
  • 1 Cup Chocolate chips
  • 1 Cup flaked coconut (I probably used half that)
and half the recipe I mixed with about a cup of Peanut Butter for more protein. =) The recipe called for almonds, but I didn't have any thus why I decided to try peanut butter.


To make it healthier, instead of sweetened condensed milk, another blogger, Lauren's Latest, used butter, honey and brown sugar in her granola bars recipe (different kind) so I think that would work too. She also used Rice Krispies in hers along with her oats - I meant to do that as well, but forgot. Her recipe is also a no bake recipe.
Other ideas would be to add any other small pieces of dried fruit or raisins or try a different baking morsel like white chocolate chips or butterscotch... I think this is a easy recipe to experiment with.


Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes and then let cool.

without Peanut Butter

with Peanut Butter
 

 I ate my granola bars for breakfasts and snacks usually paired with fruit I had on hand like strawberries or apples. Perfect!


 Here's what my granola bars looked liked last year. I know I made them different, but can't remember what I did =)

1 comment:

Laurie B-C Amazon Reviews said...

So simple Yet yummy!! Thanks for the recipe :) I must make this with the kids for their lunches and snacks