Monday, May 21, 2012

64th Mommy Mondays

I was given another awesome book by Chicken Soup. This one called The Magic of Mothers & Daughters.


I was excited to read this one because as much as I love my son, I already feel that magic, that special connection with my daughter. Maybe it's knowing that she'll be going through similar things that I experienced in her life that connects us. I'm so excited to do girl things with her: do her hair (hers is still super short), paint nails, watch girly movies and TV shows, talk about boys, etc.

Do you other mothers of daughters feel a special connection with your daughter that you don't have with your son(s). I love my son, and we have a connection, but it's different. I'm nervous about some things that he will have to go through that I won't understand. That's why I'm glad I can ask my husband to explain things to me and that he can be there to explain things to our son that I just don't know how to.

On the title page of the book, there's a quotation that says, "A daughter is a mother's gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of her self." - Author Unknown
It's amazing how we daughters emulate our mothers (even if they're not our biological mothers). It amazes me how much I look like my mother now that I am older.
This picture is from 6 years ago, but it's one of the pictures of us together where I really started to see how much I look like my mom. I'm glad. I love my mom and always wanted to dress like her. Now I've been teaching her how to dress so she looks like a mom and grandma - a cool one though =)

The first story in the book is one of my favorites, called Face Time as it talks about a special thing her and her mother always did as they talked about life. My mom and I would always watch Lifetime movies and talk through those or talk over treats from Cinnabon or a pretzel shop in the mall or as we drove in the car. Another special time we had was just me playing with her hair.

I sure miss my mom. I started reading this book when I had the stomach bug and because of it, I felt like I should call my mom and tell her how I was sick so she could tell me what to do again. I wish we lived closer! Hopefully someday.

Another section of the book is called A Mother's Love where it talks about different stories of moms doing wonderful, meaningful things for their children. Those ones really brought tears to my eyes. I hope that I can be that kind of mom more - be there for my children when they need me without getting upset or frustrated about things.


What are some favorite moments as a mom or being with your own mom?

Stay tuned later this week for a giveaway from Chicken Soup!

No comments: